Located at the University of Missouri South Farm, the MU Equine Teaching Facility has a long tradition of breeding and raising quality Quarter Horses. The foundation for the developed Quarter Horse breeding program was acquired in 1957 when Robert Q. Sutherland of the R S Bar Ranch, Overland Park, Kansas, donated six horses to the University. Originally housed at the Wurdack Farm, the breeding herd was moved closer to campus in 1978 so it could be better used for undergraduate education. During this period, Wayne Loch began to develop the University’s equine teaching program. Today, the MU Equine Teaching Facility is operated by undergraduate equine practicum students and volunteers, a graduate student manager, and a faculty supervisor. Most horses raised in this program are now sold to support the operation costs of the facility.
This 24-stall facility built in the 1970s provides students, faculty and staff affordable stabling. The facility is located near campus, with nearly 800 acres of CAFNR’s South Farm available for trail riding. Additionally, the facility provides tack and feed storage areas, trailer parking, an outdoor arena, dry-lot turnout, 12’x12’ stalls, bedding and hay. Boarders are responsible for the daily care of their animals.
4400 E New Haven Rd.
Columbia, MO 65211
Marci Crosby, firstname.lastname@example.org