Frequently Asked Questions

Why study abroad with CAFNR?

Studying internationally can be one of the best opportunities for you and your résumé. Learning and understanding a new culture and way of communicating, solving problems and developing independence – these are all experiences that will add an invaluable international dimension to your degree. The CAFNR Study Abroad Learning Outcomes listed below can help you decide if study abroad is right for you. For questions, contact the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad, Shanon Dickerson, at 573-882-0087 or

CAFNR Study Abroad Learning Outcomes

  • Expand worldview by immersing in the language and culture of another country, and making valuable comparisons between the US and abroad.
  • Broaden career opportunities via encounters such as hands-on practice of conservation, work experience, internships, and networking with faculty, industry partners and professionals in the field.
  • Learn to effectively problem-solve, increase self-confidence, and develop independence.
  • Further enhance cross-cultural competencies by studying another language, strengthening communication skills, and fostering team-building skills.

What are my options?

CAFNR offers tailored short-term and semester study abroad programs in approximately 15 countries with opportunities for every major! In fact, 6 hours of study abroad coursework can be applied to the Minor in International Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources and/or your degree program. You should plan to study abroad sometime between the Summer of your freshman year and the Spring Break of your senior year. Contact your adviser today to see where study abroad fits in your academic plan.

How can I fund my experience?

To make study abroad experiences possible for its students, CAFNR provides undergraduate study abroad scholarships specifically for CAFNR students. Award amounts vary based on academic merit, financial need and program. Mizzou also offers financial aid for study abroad. Contact the Study Abroad Financial Aid Advisor at 573-882-7506 to make an appointment).

If I am a non-Missouri resident, will it affect my total program cost?

For non-Missouri resident students participating in CAFNR study abroad programs, the Nonresident Fee (outlined on the Office of Cashiers website) will be assessed to student accounts in any instance where MU tuition is billed.

What if I need to withdraw from the program? Can I receive a refund?

Please note that after you accept admission into a study abroad program, space is reserved specifically for you and travel arrangements (depending on the program, this may include airline tickets, accommodations, transportation, group admissions/tours/fees, meals, tuition, insurance, etc.) are paid on your behalf. Often times, these arrangements with travel agencies/partners abroad are non-refundable, non-recoverable, and/or non-transferable.

To withdraw from a program, you must contact Shanon Dickerson, the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad, in writing at

Regardless of the time of withdrawal, initial program deposits are non-refundable.

  • Withdrawal before departure:
    If you withdraw at any point after accepting admission into a program you will forfeit your $350 deposit. In addition, you will be responsible for any costs that have been paid out or that are unrecoverable by CAFNR International Studies. This may include transportation costs, housing costs and tuition, as well as any other incurred expenditures.
  • Withdrawal after departure:
    In those rare cases where you feel you must return from overseas, check with your leader and the director of study abroad for procedures. No refund is available.

When should I apply for my passport and/or visa?

When you apply to a study abroad program, it is strongly advised that you apply for your passport immediately if you do not already have one. A valid passport is necessary to finalize international flight arrangements. Information on obtaining a passport can be located on the U.S. Department of State’s website. It is the responsibility of every student participant to ensure that they have a valid passport in time for program departure.  Failure to do so can result in the inability to participate in the study abroad program.

Current passport holders need to verify the expiration date on their passport. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the program return date. If your passport was issued before your 16th birthday, the validity is only for five years instead of the ten-year validity that applies to adult-issued passports.

You may also need to obtain a student visa before travelling. This depends on your nationality, your study abroad destination, the length of your program, and other specific factors as outlined by the host country’s government. Visa information specific to your program will be discussed at orientation sessions and/or will be distributed to you via email. Please note that CAFNR makes every effort to guide program participants in attaining the most up-to-date information regarding visa policies of study abroad destinations.  However, visas are issued at the discretion of the appropriate Consulate or Embassy.

Am I required to attend the mandatory orientation sessions? 

Attendance at the pre-departure orientation sessions is MANDATORY. As a rule, exceptions are only granted for academic conflicts (class or exam attendance, required academic field trips, etc.) and are at the discretion of the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad and/or the faculty program leader. You will be informed ahead of time of the meeting dates and should schedule work and personal appointments around these mandatory sessions.

Attendance at the orientation sessions is mandatory due to the vital program-specific information that is disseminated to you at these meetings. Critical information about program logistics, health and safety issues, academic concerns, cultural adaptation, etc. is provided to you as well as the opportunity to meet one another and make connections prior to the program travel dates.

What do I need to know regarding health, safety and security abroad?

The health, safety and security of our students abroad is our primary concern, and CAFNR strives to ensure that all our study abroad programs are administered in accordance with national study abroad industry standards. The CAFNR Director of Study Abroad and the MU International Center constantly monitor worldwide health, safety, and political events to ensure timely responses in the event of an emergency. Every participant is also provided with emergency contact information including the in-country 24-hour primary emergency contact, local emergency services, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, the 24-hour GeoBlue health insurance hotline, and the MU Police Department (who can contact an MU International Center staff member/the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad 24/7).

Students are enrolled in MU’s GeoBlue’s Blanket Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Policy. A FrontierMEDEX rider policy covering security and political evacuations is also included. For more information on these policies, including coverage amounts, please visit the MU International Center’s website.

With regard to vaccinations and other program-specific health questions, you will receive orientation materials from the MU Student Health Center and are strongly advised to make an appointment with their office or a travel health professional of your choice to review these recommendations before travelling abroad.