A Century of CAFNR

MU College of Agriculture in photos,1871-2001

Switzer Hall

Switzler Hall was built in 1871. The first classes for the new MU College of Agriculture and Practical Arts were held here. It was originally named Scientific Hall, then Agricultural Hall.

Swallow Hall 1892A

Swallow Hall, 1892. Natural resources and some ag classes were taught here. The building is named for the first dean of MU agriculture, George Swallow.

Mumford Class 1900

The fifth Dean of the MU College of Agriculture and Practical Arts, Frederick Mumford, taught large animal anatomy classes in Switzler Hall. He shared the building with medicine and veterinary medicine.

Dairy Lab 1895

The dairy lab, 1895.

Deans Residence

The Agricultural Farm-House was the official residence of the ag college dean. It was torn down to make room for Eckles Hall. Photo circa 1897. The ag dean had his own residence because of provisions of the Morrill Act which funded agricultural education in Missouri. The act treated agricultural colleges as separate entities from liberal arts universities. Administrative offices and some classrooms were located here. The third dean of the college, Edward Porter, died of complications from a heart attack in this building.

Sanborn Field was established in 1888

Sanborn Field was established in 1888 and was named for the college’s second dean, J.W. Sanborn. It is one of the world’s oldest research fields. Its fields still resemble the virgin soil that Missouri pioneers initially tilled, making Sanborn a critical research resource. Its original stone gate still stands.

Livestock Building 1900

The Livestock Building, circa 1900. It was replaced by the Agricultural Engineering Building.

Eckles Hall 1901

Eckles Hall in 1900. At $40,000 to build, it was the second most expensive building on campus. Jesse Hall cost $50,000.

Dairy-Herd 1900

MU dairy complex, 1900. The Veterinary Medicine Building now sits on this spot.

Data Erosion Field 1900

Soil Erosion Laboratory plots, 1900. The new Ellis Fischel Hospital now sits on this land.

First Experiment Station Building Site of Whitten Hall

First Ag Experiment Station. Whitten Hall now sits on this property.

Farmer Parade 1905

Farmers’ Parade, 1905. The parade was comprised of agriculture students in competition with the Engineers’ Parade.

Waters Hall Cornerstone Laying 1907

Dedication of Waters Hall cornerstone, 1907. The building was named after Henry Waters, fourth dean of the MU College of Agriculture, during his lifetime — a rare honor.

Dairy Chemistry-Lab 1909

Dairy chemistry lab, Eckles Hall, 1909. Eckles received a major renovation in 1938 and 2000. It is named after C.H. Eckles, chairman of dairy husbandry, 1901-1919.

Home Economics class 1909

Home economics class, 1909.

Dairy Students-1910

Dairy students, 1910. Front and center is Chief Josephine who produced a record 15,725 pounds of milk in one year as a 2-year-old.

Connaway Hall 1910

Connaway Hall, the Department of Veterinary Science, 1910. Veterinary medicine became its own college at MU in 1945.

Johnson County Group in Columbia

Farmers from Johnson County visit MU for a short course, 1911. Short courses were popular because they lasted only eight weeks and were held during the winter, a slow time of the year for farmers.

Schweitzer Hall 1912

The new Schweitzer Hall, originally named the Agricultural Chemistry Building, 1912. The structure was named after Paul Schweitzer, first full-time professor of chemistry and  Department of Agricultural Chemistry chairman.

Lefevre Hall 1913

Construction of Lefevre Hall, 1913. Originally named the Biological Building. Zoology was the first topic taught there.

Horse Shows1914

Horse show at what is now Stankowski Field, 1914. This field was MU’s first football stadium and initially named Rollins Field.

Farmer's Fair 1920

Farmers’ Fair, 1920. General admission was 5 cents. Fair was held in conjunction with MU’s Homecoming.

Gwynn Hall 1920

Laying of cornerstone of Gwynn Hall, 1920. Gwynn was MU’s center for home economics, then a part of the College of Agriculture. The building is currently undergoing a major renovation.

Beef Barn 1922

Beef Barn, 1922. The building still exists, south of the medical campus off Stadium Blvd.

Artist Rendering Curtis Hall 1939

Architectural rendering of Curtis Hall, 1939. Note greenhouses in rear. The building is named after Winterton Curtis, MU professor of Zoology and expert witness called to the Scopes “Monkey” Trial in 1925.

Agriculture Lab 1949

The new Agriculture Laboratory, 1949. This building is now attached to the Agriculture Building.

Ag pond east of dairy building

Ag Pond east of Dairy Building (now Eckles Hall) being filled in, 1950. Ag students used to dunk engineering students in this water as part of an almost century-old rivalry. The pond was filled to stop that practice. Sanborn Field is in the background. Truck is parked on Rollins Road.

Gentry Hall 1950

Sitting room of Gentry Hall in 1950, then a women’s dormitory.

Foundation of Ag Building 1958

Foundation of Agriculture Building being poured, 1958.

Touring New Bradford Farm in 1959

Farmers tour new Bradford Research Farm, 1959.

Ag Building 1960

Completed Agriculture Building, 1964.

Cattle Facilities Day at Weldon Springs Center

Cattle Facilities Day at Weldon Springs Center, about 1962.

Delta Research Center

Delta Research Center, about 1962.

Southwest Center

Southwest Center, about 1962.

ABNR Construction 1996

Construction of the Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources building, 1996.

LSC Architect Drawing 2001

Architect’s 2001 drawing of Bond Life Science Center. Note that the rooftop greenhouses were not included in this rendering.