- PhD 2014, North Carolina State University
- MS 2010, University of Missouri-Columbia
Xu’s research is primarily focused on developing and promoting sustainable tourism (with an emphasis in nature-based tourism, craft beverage tourism) for communities using a combined stakeholder-engaged and GIS approach. Her research seeks to fully engage different stakeholders (e.g., tourists/visitors, residents, tourism related businesses, policy-makers) and to develop a comprehensive understanding of the impacts of tourism. She is also interested in examining other tourism niches (e.g., heritage tourism, agritourism) in both regional and linear tourism route settings.
- Tourism Management (PRST 2060)
- Sustainable Tourism (PRST 4260/7260)
- Domestic and International Tourism: Resources, Market, and Impacts (PRST 4357/7357)
- Constructs of Leisure (PRST 8400)
- Xu, S., Bauman, M., Ponting, S., Slevitch, L., Webster, C. & Kirillova, K. (2023). Authenticity of craft brewery visitor experience: A scale development study. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/10963480231191212
- Lv, X., Shi, K., Xu, S., & Wu, A. (2023). Will tourists’ pro-environmental behavior influence their well-being: An examination from the perspective of Warm Glow Theory. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2023.2243058
- Acharya, S., Morgan, M., Xu, S., & Palmer, M. (2023). A descriptive analysis of corridors and deer-vehicle collisions along Missouri interstate highways. Trees, Forests and People, 13, 100409.
- Huang, M., Wang, K., Liu, Y., & Xu, S. (2023). The impact of post-disaster communication on destination visiting intention. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1108/JHTI-10-2022-0519
- Lin, S., Xu, S., Liu, Y., & Zhang, L. (2023). Destination brand experience, brand positioning and intention to visit: A multi-destination comparison study. Journal of Vacation Marketing. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/13567667231155646
- Lv, X., Liang, Y., Xu, S., Sun, J., Lu, R., & Hu, Y. (2022). Dark spectrum: Visual expression of dark experience. Tourism Management, 93,
- Xu, S., & Barbieri, C. (2022). Wine tourism development: From the host community’s perspective. In S. K. Dixit (Ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Wine Tourism. Routledge UK: Routledge.
- Xu, S. (2022). Themed touring routes. In D. Buhalis (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Tourism Management and Marketing. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Johnmeyer, C., & Xu, S. (2022). Pilgrimage trails. In D. Buhalis (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Tourism Management and Marketing. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lv, X., Lu, R., Xu, S., Sun, J., & Yang, Y. (2022). Exploring visual embodiment effect in dark tourism: The influence of visual darkness on dark experience. Tourism Management, 89, 104438.
- Lewis, H., Schrier, T., & Xu, S. (2021). Dark tourism: Motivations and visit intentions of tourists. International Hospitality Review. 36(1), 107-123. *Outstanding paper in the 2023 Emerald Literati Award.
- Lyu, X., Yang, , Xu, S., & Liu, X. (2021). Emotional intelligence: The effect of AI empathic response on customers’ continuance intention of AI service. Tourism Tribune, 36(8), 86-100.
- Lv, X., Liu, Y., Xu, S., & Li, Q. (2021). Welcoming host, cozy house? The impact of service attitude on customers’ sensory experience. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 95, 102949.
- Xu, S., Wilhelm Stanis, S., Zhang, H., Groshong, L., & Morgan, M. (2021). Impact of travel distance and experience use history on visitors’ climate friendly behavior and support for climate friendly management action. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 29(6), 981-999.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Seekamp, E. (2020). Social capital along wine trails: Spilling the wine to residents? Sustainability, 12(4), 1592. * Editor’s Choice paper
- Holladay, P., Dixon, A., Nguyen, M.C., Nguyen, B.L., Xu, S., & Price-Howard, K. (2020). Stakeholder perceptions of Da Nang, Vietnam as a tourism gateway city. Journal of Tourism Insights, 10(2), 8.
- Holladay, P., Dixon, A., Nguyen, M.C, Nguyen, B.L., Xu, S., Price-Howard, K. (2018). Stakeholder perceptions of tourism assets and sustainable tourism development in Da Nang, Vietnam. Enlightening Tourism, 8(2), 74-98.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Anderson, D., Leung, Y. F., & Rich, S. R. (2016). Residents’ Perceptions of Wine Tourism Development. Tourism Management, 55, 276-286.
- Xu, S., Leung, Y. F., & Barbieri, C. (2016). Characterizing themed touring routes: A geospatial and tourism evaluation of wine trails. Tourism Planning and Development, 13(2), 168-184.
- Barbieri, C., Xu, S., Arroyo, G., & Rich, S. (2015). Agritourism, farm visit, or…? Assessing label preferences for farm recreation. Journal of Travel Research, 55(8), 1094-1108.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Wilhelm Stanis, S., & Market, P. (2012). Sensation seeking behind recreational storm chasers. International Journal of Tourism Research, 14(3), 269-284.
- Smith, C., Santucci, D., Xu, S., Cox, A., & Henderson, K. (2012). “I Love my job, but…:” A narrative analysis of women’s perceptions of their careers in parks and recreation. Journal of Leisure Research, 44(1), 52-69.