- PhD 2014, North Carolina State University
- MS 2010, University of Missouri-Columbia
Xu’s research is primarily focused on developing and promoting sustainable tourism (with an emphasis in wine tourism, nature-based tourism) for communities using a combined stakeholder theory and GIS approach. Her research seeks to fully engage different stakeholders (e.g., tourists/visitors, tourism related businesses, residents, policy-makers) and to develop a comprehensive understanding of the impacts of tourism. She is also interested in examining other tourism niches (e.g., cultural tourism, agritourism) in both regional and linear tourism route settings.
- Tourism Management (PRST 2060)
- Sustainable Tourism (PRST 4101/7101)
- Domestic and International Tourism: Resources, Market, and Impacts (PRST 4357/7357)
- Constructs of Leisure (PRST 8400)
- Xu, S., & Barbieri, C. (in press). Wine tourism development: From the host community’s perspective. In S. K. Dixit (Ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Wine Tourism. Routledge UK: Routledge.
- Xu, S. (in press). Themed touring routes. In D. Buhalis (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Tourism Management and Marketing. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Johnmeyer, C., & Xu, S. (in press). Pilgrimage trails. In D. Buhalis (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Tourism Management and Marketing. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lv, X., Lu, R., Xu, S., Sun, J., & Yang, Y. (2022). Exploring visual embodiment effect in dark tourism: The influence of visual darkness on dark experience. Tourism Management, 89, 104438.
- Lewis, H., Schrier, T., & Xu, S. (2021). Dark tourism: Motivations and visit intentions of tourists. International Hospitality Review.
- Lyu, X., Yang, , Xu, S., & Liu, X. (2021). Emotional intelligence: The effect of AI empathic response on customers’ continuance intention of AI service. Tourism Tribune, 36(8), 86-100.
- Lv, X., Liu, Y., Xu, S., & Li, Q. (2021). Welcoming host, cozy house? The impact of service attitude on customers’ sensory experience. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 95, 102949.
- Xu, S., Wilhelm Stanis, S., Zhang, H., Groshong, L., & Morgan, M. (2021). Impact of travel distance and experience use history on visitors’ climate friendly behavior and support for climate friendly management action. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 29(6), 981-999.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Seekamp, E. (2020). Social capital along wine trails: Spilling the wine to residents? Sustainability, 12(4), 1592. * Editor’s Choice paper
- Holladay, P., Dixon, A., Nguyen, M.C., Nguyen, B.L., Xu, S., & Price-Howard, K. (2020). Stakeholder perceptions of Da Nang, Vietnam as a tourism gateway city. Journal of Tourism Insights, 10(2), 8.
- Holladay, P., Dixon, A., Nguyen, M.C, Nguyen, B.L., Xu, S., Price-Howard, K. (2018). Stakeholder perceptions of tourism assets and sustainable tourism development in Da Nang, Vietnam. Enlightening Tourism, 8(2), 74-98.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Anderson, D., Leung, Y. F., & Rich, S. R. (2016). Residents’ Perceptions of Wine Tourism Development. Tourism Management, 55, 276-286.
- Xu, S., Leung, Y. F., & Barbieri, C. (2016). Characterizing themed touring routes: A geospatial and tourism evaluation of wine trails. Tourism Planning and Development, 13(2), 168-184.
- Barbieri, C., Xu, S., Arroyo, G., & Rich, S. (2015). Agritourism, farm visit, or…? Assessing label preferences for farm recreation. Journal of Travel Research, 55(8), 1094-1108.
- Xu, S., Barbieri, C., Wilhelm Stanis, S., & Market, P. (2012). Sensation seeking behind recreational storm chasers. International Journal of Tourism Research, 14(3), 269-284.
- Smith, C., Santucci, D., Xu, S., Cox, A., & Henderson, K. (2012). “I Love my job, but…:” A narrative analysis of women’s perceptions of their careers in parks and recreation. Journal of Leisure Research, 44(1), 52-69.