Is financial aid available for study abroad?

Yes, there are several options available. For information to help get you started, please see Paying for Study Abroad. Additionally, it is always a good idea for students planning to study abroad to file a FAFSA. Some students filing a FAFSA find that their eligibility for aid may increase based on the extra expenses associated with studying abroad.

I am a non-Missouri resident. Will this affect the total program cost?

For non-Missouri resident students participating in CAFNR study abroad programs, the Nonresident Fee (outlined on the Office of Cashiers website) will be assessed to student accounts in any instance where MU tuition is billed.  However, CAFNR will refund 80% of non-resident fees associated with the program back to the student’s MU account.

What if I need to withdraw from the program? What is the refund policy?

To withdraw from a program, the student must contact Shanon Dickerson, the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad, in writing at dickersonsm@missouri.edu.

Regardless of the time of withdrawal, initial program deposits are non-refundable.

Refunds will be issued/financial responsibility of the student will be assessed by the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad. Refunds will be issued and/or final student financial responsibility will be calculated based on recoverable costs; that is, regardless of the time of withdrawal, students will be financially responsible for any non-recoverable costs paid on their behalf, including, but not limited to, airline, lodging, pre-arranged activity, academic, and other expenses. The later the date of withdrawal, the higher the student financial responsibility is likely to be.

When should I apply for my passport?

When you apply to a study abroad program, it is strongly advised that you apply for your passport immediately if you do not already have one. A valid passport is necessary to finalize international flight arrangements and, depending on your program destination, you may need to obtain a student visa in your passport before travelling. Information on obtaining a passport can be located on the U.S. Department of State’s website. It is the responsibility of every student participant to ensure that they have a valid passport in time for program departure.  Failure to do so can result in the inability to participate in the study abroad program.

Current passport holders need to verify the expiration date on their passport. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the program return date. If your passport was issued before your 16th birthday, the validity is only for five years instead of the ten-year validity that applies to adult-issued passports.

Do I need a student visa?

This depends on your nationality, your study abroad destination, the length of your program, and other specific factors as outlined by the host country’s government. Visa information specific to your program will be discussed at orientation sessions and/or will be distributed to participants via email. Please note that CAFNR makes every effort to provide program participants with the most up-to-date information regarding visa policies of study abroad destinations.  However, visas are issued at the discretion of the appropriate Consulate or Embassy.

Am I required to attend the orientation sessions? Why are they important?

Attendance at the pre-departure orientation sessions is MANDATORY. As a rule, exceptions are granted only for academic conflicts (class or exam attendance, required academic field trips). Exceptions are granted only at the discretion of the Director of Study Abroad or the faculty program leader.

Attendance at the orientation sessions is MANDATORY due to the vital and program-specific information disseminated to students at these meetings. This information includes critical information about program logistics, health and safety issues, academic concerns, cultural adaptation, etc. These sessions also give program participants the opportunity to meet one another and make connections prior to the program travel dates.

I’m concerned about health and safety issues.  How are students prepared?  Should I be worried?

The health, safety and security of our students abroad are of paramount concern. CAFNR strives to ensure that all our study abroad programs are administered in accordance with national industry standards regarding health, safety and security of students abroad.

All CAFNR program participants are provided with comprehensive orientations both in person (facilitated by the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad and/or the program faculty leader) and online (facilitated by the MU International Center). Health, safety and security issues are discussed in detail, with particular attention given to any destination-specific concerns.

The CAFNR Director of Study Abroad and the MU International Center constantly monitor worldwide health, safety, and political events to ensure timely responses in the event of an emergency. Every participant is also provided with emergency contact information including the in-country 24-hour primary emergency contact, local emergency services, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, the 24-hour GeoBlue health insurance hotline, and the MU Police Department (who can contact the CAFNR Director of Study Abroad 24/7).

The University of Missouri does not support any programs to countries for which a Department of State Travel Warning has been issued.

What type of health insurance is offered?

All students participating in CAFNR study abroad programs are enrolled in MU’s GeoBlue’s  Blanket Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Policy. In addition, a FrontierMEDEX rider policy covering security and political evacuations is included. For more information on these policies, including coverage amounts, please visit the MU International Center’s website.

Do I need vaccinations or a physical exam before participating in my program?

Every participant should ensure that they are up-to-date on all routine immunizations. In addition, the Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended for any student travelling overseas, regardless of destination. Some destination-specific immunizations/precautions, including anti-malarial medication, may be recommended. Students are strongly advised to make an appointment with a travel health professional to review these recommendations before travelling abroad. The MU Student Health Center offers travel health appointments.  The cost per travel visit is $56.  Although they are not covered by the pre-paid health fee, they can be charged to your MU student account. For information on setting up an appointment, see the MU Student Health Center website.

Though not required, it is recommended that students receive a general physical exam before departing. General physical exams at the MU Student Health Center are covered by the MU pre-paid health fee.