- Ph.D. 1985, North Carolina State University
- Soil physics, vadose zone hydrology, X-ray tomography of soil systems
Anderson’s primary research interests include evaluation of soil management effects on soil hydraulic properties, development of X-ray computed tomography and microtomography techniques for assessment of pore-scale soil properties and processes, and utilizing simulation models to evaluate effectiveness of conservation practices at the watershed scale. Soil properties evaluated with X-ray tomography include macropore and mesopore size distributions and characteristics, pore continuity, and pore tortuosity — all critically important for transport of water, air and solutes in soil systems. Image analysis techniques are applied to quantify pore-scale variability of biopores.
- Environmental Science/Civil Engineering 3250, Pollutant Fate and Transport
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4305/7305, Environmental Soil Physics
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4306/7306, Environmental Soil Physics Laboratory
- Environmental Science/Natural Resources 4320/7320, Hydrologic and Water Quality Modeling
- Biological Engineering 4350/7350/Civil Engineering 4720/7720, Watershed Modeling Using GIS
- Biological Engineering 8250, Water Management Theory
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 8400, Transport in the Vadose Zone
- Plant Science 4355/7355, Advanced Turfgrass Management
- Cercioglu, M., S.H. Anderson, R.P. Udawatta, and S.I. Haruna. 2018. Effects of cover crop and biofuel crop management on computed tomography-measured pore parameters. Geoderma 319:80-88.
- Gantzer, C.J., S.H. Anderson, and R.J. Miles. 2018. The centennial of the first erosion plots. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 73:57A-59A.
- Haruna, S.I., N.V. Nkongolo, S.H. Anderson, F. Eivazi, and S. Zaibon. 2018. In situ infiltration as influenced by cover crop and tillage management. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 73:164-172.
- Haruna, S.I., S.H. Anderson, N.V. Nkongolo, and S. Zaibon. 2018. Soil hydraulic properties: Influence of tillage and cover crops. Pedosphere 28:430-442.
- Satkowski, L.E., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, R.N. Lerch, E.B. Webb, and D.D. Snow. 2018. Imidacloprid sorption and transport in cropland, grass buffer, and riparian buffer soils. Vadose Zone J. 17:170139. doi:10.2136/vzj2017.07.0139.
- Senaviratne, G.M.M.M.A., C. Baffaut, J.A. Lory, R.P. Udawatta, N.O. Nelson, J.R. Williams, and S.H. Anderson. 2018. Improved APEX model simulation of buffer water quality benefits at field scale. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 61:603-616.
- Song, E., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, S.H. Anderson, and X. Xiong. 2018. Surfactant chemistry effects on organic matter removal from water repellant sand. Soil Science Society of America Journal 82:1252-1258.