- Ph.D. 1985, North Carolina State University
- Soil physics, vadose zone hydrology, X-ray tomography of soil systems
Anderson’s primary research interests include evaluation of soil management effects on soil hydraulic properties, development of X-ray computed tomography and microtomography techniques for assessment of pore-scale soil properties and processes, and utilizing simulation models to evaluate effectiveness of conservation practices at the watershed scale. Soil properties evaluated with X-ray tomography include macropore and mesopore size distributions and characteristics, pore continuity, and pore tortuosity — all critically important for transport of water, air and solutes in soil systems. Image analysis techniques are applied to quantify pore-scale variability of biopores.
- Environmental Science/Civil Engineering 3250, Pollutant Fate and Transport
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4305/7305, Environmental Soil Physics
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4306/7306, Environmental Soil Physics Laboratory
- Environmental Science/Natural Resources 4320/7320, Hydrologic and Water Quality Modeling
- Biological Engineering 4350/7350/Civil Engineering 4720/7720, Watershed Modeling Using GIS
- Biological Engineering 8250, Water Management Theory
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 8400, Transport in the Vadose Zone
- Plant Science 4355/7355, Advanced Turfgrass Management
- Rankoth, L.M., R.P. Udawatta, S.H. Anderson, C.J. Gantzer, and S. Alagele. 2021. Cover crop influence on soil water dynamics for a corn-soybean rotation. Agrosystems, Geosciences & Environment 4:e20175. https://doi.org/10.1002/agg2.20175.
- Alagele, S.M., S. Jose, S.H. Anderson, and R.P. Udawatta. 2021. Hydraulic lift: Processes, methods, and practical implications for society. Agroforestry Systems 95:641-657.
- Singh, N., S. Kumar, R.P. Udawatta, S.H. Anderson, L.W. De Jongeand, and S. Katuwal. 2021. X-ray micro-computed tomography characterized soil pore network as influenced by long-term application of manure and fertilizer. Geoderma 385:Article114872:1-8.
- Singh, N., S. Kumar, R.P. Udawatta, S.H. Anderson, L.W. DeJonge, and S. Katuwal. 2021. Grassland conversion to croplands impacted soil pore parameters measured using X-ray computed tomography. Soil Science Society of America Journal 85:73-84.
- Alagele, S.M., S.H. Anderson, and R.P. Udawatta. 2020. Agroforestry, grass, biofuel crop, and row-crop management effects on soil water dynamics for claypan landscapes. Soil Science Society of America Journal 84:203-219.
- Alagele, S.M., S.H. Anderson, R.P. Udawatta, K.S. Veum, and L.M. Rankoth. 2020. Long-term perennial management and cropping effects on soil microbial biomass for claypan watersheds. Agronomy Journal 112:815-827.
- Gantzer, C.J., and S.H. Anderson. 2020. The Soil and Water Conservation Society – The society’s beginning. pp. 1-11. In J.A. Delgado, C.J. Gantzer, and G.J. Sassenrath. Soil and Water Conservation Society: A Celebration of 75 Years. Soil and Water Conservation Society, Ankeny, Iowa.
- Haruna, S.I., and S.H. Anderson. 2020. No-till farming systems for enhancing soil water storage. pp. 213-231. In Y. Dang, R.C. Dalal, and N.W. Menzies (eds.) No-Till Farming Systems for Sustainable Agriculture: Challenges and Opportunities. Springer Nature, Basel, Switzerland.
- Haruna, S.I., S.H. Anderson, R.P. Udawatta, C.J. Gantzer, S. Cui, N.C. Phillips, and Y. Gao. 2020. Improving soil physical properties through the use of cover crops: A review. Agrosystems, Geosciences & Environment 3:e20105. https://doi.org/10.1002/agg2.20105
- Zuber, S.M., K.S. Veum, R.L. Myers, N.R. Kitchen, and S.H. Anderson. 2020. Role of inherent soil characteristics in assessing soil health across Missouri. Agricultural & Environmental Letters 5:e20021. https://doi.org/10.1002/ael2.20021
- Cercioglu, M., S.H. Anderson, R.P. Udawatta, and S.I. Haruna. 2018. Effects of cover crop and biofuel crop management on computed tomography-measured pore parameters. Geoderma 319:80-88.
- Gantzer, C.J., S.H. Anderson, and R.J. Miles. 2018. The centennial of the first erosion plots. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 73:57A-59A.
- Haruna, S.I., N.V. Nkongolo, S.H. Anderson, F. Eivazi, and S. Zaibon. 2018. In situ infiltration as influenced by cover crop and tillage management. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 73:164-172.
- Haruna, S.I., S.H. Anderson, N.V. Nkongolo, and S. Zaibon. 2018. Soil hydraulic properties: Influence of tillage and cover crops. Pedosphere 28:430-442.
- Satkowski, L.E., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, R.N. Lerch, E.B. Webb, and D.D. Snow. 2018. Imidacloprid sorption and transport in cropland, grass buffer, and riparian buffer soils. Vadose Zone J. 17:170139. doi:10.2136/vzj2017.07.0139.
- Senaviratne, G.M.M.M.A., C. Baffaut, J.A. Lory, R.P. Udawatta, N.O. Nelson, J.R. Williams, and S.H. Anderson. 2018. Improved APEX model simulation of buffer water quality benefits at field scale. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 61:603-616.
- Song, E., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, S.H. Anderson, and X. Xiong. 2018. Surfactant chemistry effects on organic matter removal from water repellant sand. Soil Science Society of America Journal 82:1252-1258.