- Ph.D., 2008, University of Minnesota
- Wilhelm Stanis’ research is in the human dimensions of natural resource management with an emphasis in the social psychological as well as environmental factors that influence aspects of outdoor recreation. Specifically, her work examines the role of parks and public lands in promoting physical activity and public health, benefits of and constraints to outdoor recreation, and issues in outdoor recreation relating to diversity and youth.
- Research methods in parks, recreation and tourism
- Constructs of Leisure
- Advanced recreation land management
- Planning and evaluating leisure environments
- Career Orientation in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services
- Parks, Health and Wellness
- Groshong, L., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Kaczynski, A.T., Hipp, J.A. (2017). Exploring attitudes, perceived norms, and self-efficacy: Insights into theory-based messages to encourage park-based physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 14(2), 108-116.
- Keith, N., Baskin, M.L., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., & Sallis, J.F. (2017). The 2016 Active Living Research Conference: Equity in Active Living. Preventive Medicine, 95, S1-S3.
- Gallerani, D.G., Besenyi, G.B., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A. & Kaczynski, A.T. (2017). “We actually care and we want to make the parks better”: Youth experiences, changes and perceptions as community advocates. Preventive Medicine, 95, S109-S114.
- Schultz, C.L., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Sayers, S.P & Thomas, I.M. (2017). A longitudinal examination of improved access on park use and physical activity in an underserved neighborhood park. Preventive Medicine, 95, S95-S100.
- Johnson, L., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Lin, L.*, McElroy, J., LeMaster, J., Nilon, C., & Sayers, S. (2016). Giving and taking away: Role of recess staff in youth physical activity. Health Behavior and Policy Review, 3(6), 557-567.
- Besenyi, G.M., Diehl, P., Schooley, B., Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Wilcox, S., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Kaczynski, A.T. (2016). Development and testing of mobile technology for community engagement in park improvements: Validity and reliability of the eCPAT application with youth. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 6(4), 519-532.
- Besenyi, G.M., Kaczynski, A.T., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Bergstrom, R.D., Oestman, K.B., & Colabianchi, N. (2016). Sex differences in the relationship between park proximity and features and child and youth physical activity. Children, Youth and Environments, 26(1), 56-84).
- Matisziw, T., Nilon, C., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., LeMaster, J., McElroy, J., & Sayers, S. (2016). The right space at the right time: The relationship between children’s physical activity and land use/land cover. Landscape and Urban Planning, 151, 21-32.
- Kaczynski, A.T., Schipperijn, J., Hipp, J.A., Besenyi, G.M., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Hughey, S.M., & Wilcox, S. (2016). ParkIndex: Development of a standardized metric of park access for research and public health planning. Preventive Medicine, 87, 110-114.
- Veitch, J., Abbott, G., Kaczynski, A.T., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Besenyi, G.M., & Lamb, K.E. (2016). Park availability and physical activity, TV time, and overweight and obesity among women: Findings from Australia and the United States. Health and Place, 38, 96-102.
- Schultz, C.L., Sayers, S.P., Wilhelm Stanis, S.A., Thombs, L.A., Thomas, I.M., & Canfield, S.M. (2015). The impact of a signalized cross walk on traffic speed and street crossing behaviors of residents in an underserved neighborhood. Journal of Urban Health, 92(5), 910-922.