- Post-graduate certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education 2001, University of Salford
- Ph.D. 1998, University of Salford, Atmospheric Science
- M.Phil. 1995, University of Reading, Meteorology
- B.Sc. 1988, University of Manchester, Physics
Fox operates the X-band dual polarization MZZU weather radar. His research interests include:
- The use of radar in the estimation and very short-period forecasting (nowcasting) of rainfall.
- The characterization of rainfall drop-size distributions and their practical application.
- The representation of rainfall in models of runoff, soil detachment and stream flow.
- Radar observation of storm and precipitation properties.
- ATMSC 2720: Weather Briefing
- ATMSC 4350: Mesoscale Meteorology and Dynamics
- ATMSC 4400: Micrometeorology
- ATMSC 4510: Remote Sensing for Atmospheric Science and Natural Resources
- ATMSC 4520: Environmental Biophysics
- ATMSC 4550: Physical Meteorology
- ATMSC 4590: Radar Meteorology
- ATMSC 8500: Radiation in the Atmosphere
- ATMSC 8550: Nowcasting
- ATMSC 9590: Advanced Radar Meteorology
- Wen, G., N. I. Fox, and P. S. Market, 2019: A Gaussian mixture method for specific differential phase retrieval at X-band frequency. Meas. Tech., 12(10), 5613-5637. https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-2019-189 .
- D. Wood, E.J. Sadler, N.I. Fox, S.T. Greer, L. Gu , P.E. Guinan, A.R. Lupo, P.S. Market, S.M. Rochette, A. Speck, and L.D. White, 2018: Land-atmosphere Responses to a Total Solar Eclipse in Three Ecosystems with Contrasting Structure and Physiology. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres. 124(2), 530-543. doi: 10.1029/2018JD029630.
- Kastman, J.S., P.S. Market and N.I. Fox, 2018: Dynamic ensemble reanalysis of frontal placement impacts in the presence of elevated thunderstorm during PRECIP events. Atmosphere, 9(9), 339.
- Simpson, M.J. and N.I. Fox, 2018: Multi-radar performance in the Midwestern United States at large ranges. Hydrology and Earth System Science. 22(6), 3375-3389
- Pallardy, Q. and Fox, N.I., 2018: Accounting for rainfall evaporation using dual-polarization radar and mesoscale model data. Journal of Hydrology, 577, 573-588.
- McCoy L.P., P.S. Market, C. Gravelle, C.E. Graves, N.I. Fox, S.M. Rochette, J. Kastman and B. Svoma, 2017: Composites of Heavy Rain Producing Elevated Thunderstorms in the Central United States. Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2017, Article ID 6932798, doi:10.1155/2017/6932798.
- Kastman, J.S., P.S. Market, N.I. Fox, A.L Foscato, and A.R. Lupo, 2017: Lightning and rainfall characteristics in elevated vs surface based convection in the Midwest that produce heavy rainfall. Atmosphere, 8, 36; doi:10.3390/atmos8020036
- Market, P.S., S. Rochette, J. Shewchuk, R. Difani, J. Kastman, C. Henson and N.I. Fox, 2017: Evaluating Elevated Convection with the Downdraft Convective Inhibition. Atmospheric Science Letters, 18(2), 76-81. DOI: 10.1002/asl.727.
- Kastman, J., L. McCoy, P.S. Market and N.I. Fox, 2017: An Example of Synergistic Coupling of Upper and Lower-Level Jets Associated with Flash Flooding. Meteorological Applications. DOI: 10.1002/met1618
- Lupo, A.R, C. Li, F. Feng, N.I. Fox, J. Rabinowitz, and M. Simpson, 2016: Sensitive Versus Rough Dependence in Initial Conditions in Atmospheric Flow Regimes. Atmosphere, 7, 157; doi:10.3390/atmos7120157.
- Svoma, B., Q. Pallardy, N.I. Fox and R. Udawatta, 2016: Reference Evapotranspiration Differences between Agroforestry and Grass Buffers. Agricultural Water Management, 176, 214-221
- A.C. Micheas, N.I. Fox and R. Dey, 2016: Modelling the evolution of a random set utilizing covariate information with applications to nowcasting, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 86(18), 3735-3757. DOI: 10.1080/00949655.2016.1182531.
- Simpson, M., J. Hubbart and N.I. Fox, 2016: Ground truthed performance of single- and dual-polarization radar rain rates at large range. Hydrological Processes, 30(20), 3692-3703 doi: 10.1002/hyp.10873
- Fox, N. I., A. C. Micheas, and Y. Peng, 2016: Applications of Bayesian Procrustes shape analysis to ensemble radar reflectivity nowcast verification. Atmospheric Research, 176-177, 75-86; doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2016.02.001
- Hubbart, J.A., E. Kellner, L. Hooper, A.R. Lupo, P.S. Market, B.M. Svoma, N. I. Fox, K. Stephan, P.E. Guinan, and E. Aldrich, 2014: Localized Climate and Surface Energy Flux Alterations across an Urban Gradient in the Central U.S., 2014. Energies, 7 (3), 1770-1791.
- Lack, S.A. and N.I. Fox, 2012: Development of an automated approach for identifying convective storm type using reflectivity-derived and near-storm environment data. Atmospheric Research, 116, 67-81.
- Fox, N.I., 2011: A tall tower study of Missouri winds. Renewable Energy, 36, 330-337.
- Lack , S.A., G.L. Limpert and N.I. Fox, 2010: An object-oriented multi-scale verification scheme. Weather and Forecasting, 25, 79-92.