- PhD 2018, Iowa State University, Environmental Science
- MS 2013, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
- BS 2011, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
Davis’ research is centered around soil biogeochemistry in the context of ecological sustainability. The objective of his research is investigating nutrient and energy cycles in both managed and natural ecosystems. This work provides insights for improving sustainability and contributes to foundational biogeochemistry knowledge. He is particularly interested in nitrogen and carbon transformations in forested and agronomic ecosystems. Specific research interests include the following: soil greenhouse gas emissions, soil health, soil organic matter, cover crops, tillage management, nitrate leaching, microbial communities, denitrification, indirect nitrous oxide emissions, riparian buffers, drainage water recycling and woodchip bioreactors.
- Introduction to Environmental Science (Environmental Science 1100)
- Environmental Soil Chemistry (Environmental Science/Soil Science/Geology 4318/7318)
- Pollutant Fate and Transport (Environmental Science/Civil Engineering 3250)
- Davis, M.P., E.A. Martin, T.B. Moorman, T.M. Isenhart, and M.L. Soupir. 2019. Nitrous oxide and methane production from denitrifying woodchip bioreactors at three hydraulic residence times. J. Environ. Manage. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.04.055
- Groh, T.A., M.P. Davis, T.M. Isenhart, D.B. Jaynes, and T.B. Parkin. 2019. Denitrification potential in three saturated riparian buffers. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2019.106656
- Martin, E.A., M.P. Davis, T.B. Moorman, T.M. Isenhart, and M.L. Soupir. 2019. Impact of hydraulic residence time on nitrate removal in pilot-scale woodchip bioreactors. J. Environ. Manage. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.01.025
- Davis, M.P., T.A. Groh, D.B. Jaynes, T.B. Parkin and T.M. Isenhart. 2018. Nitrous oxide emissions from saturated riparian buffers: Are we trading a water quality problem for an air quality problem?. J. of Environ. Qual. doi:10.2134/jeq2018.03.0127
- Davis M.P. and M.B. David. Nitrous oxide fluxes from agricultural streams in East-Central Illinois. 2018. Water Air Soil Pollut. 229:354. doi:10.1007/s11270-018-4007-7
- Davis, M.P., T.A. Groh, R. Williams, T.B. Parkin, T.M. Isenhart, and K. Hofmockel. 2018. Portable automation of static chamber sample collection for quantifying soil gas flux. J. Environ. Qual. 47:270-275. doi:10.2134/jeq2017.10.0387
- Groh, T.A., M.P. Davis, T.M. Isenhart, D.B. Jaynes, and T.B. Parkin. 2018. In situ denitrification in saturated riparian buffers. J. of Environ. Qual. doi:10.2134/jeq2018.03.0125
- Davis M.P., M.B. David, T.B. Voigt and C.A. Mitchell. 2015. Effect of nitrogen addition on Miscanthus x giganteus yield, nitrogen losses and soil organic matter across five sites. GCB Bioenergy. 7:1222-1231. doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12217.
- Davis M.P., M.B. David and C.A. Mitchell. 2013. Nitrogen mineralization in soils used for biofuel crops. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 44:987-995. https://doi.org10.1080/00103624.2012.747607