- Ph.D. 2013, University of Guelph
- Surface-atmosphere mass and energy exchanges
- Carbon, nitrogen and water cycles in natural and managed systems
- Gas emissions
Wood’s research focuses on the exchanges of mass and energy between the biosphere and atmosphere. There is specific emphasis on better understanding the factors controlling fluxes of carbon, water and nitrogen between natural or managed systems and the atmosphere. Current research efforts are directed towards improving constraints on canopy photosynthesis and respiration in forest systems and relations with ecosystem water status.
- Xiao, K., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, P.V. Bolstad, M.D. Erickson, X. Lee, J.D. Wood, and C. Hu. 2018. Evaporation from a temperature closed-basin lake and its impact on present, past and future water level. Journal of Hydrology, 561:59–75, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.03.059.
- Chen, M., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, T. Meyers and A. Suyker. 2018. Simulating the long-term carbon budget across agricultural sites using CLM4-Crop, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 256–257:315–333, doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2018.03.012.
- Chen, Z., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, D. Millet, J.D. Wood, E. Dlugokencky, A. Andrews, C. Sweeney, C. Hu and R. Kolka. 2018. Source partitioning of methane emissions and its seasonality in the U.S. Midwest. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123:646–659, doi: 10.1002/2017JG004356.
- Wood, J.D., B.O. Knapp, R.-M. Muzika, M.C. Stambaugh and L. Gu . 2018. The importance of drought-pathogen interactions in driving oak mortality events in the Ozark Border Region. 2018: Environmental Research Letters, 13:015004, doi 10.1088/1748-9326/aa94fa.
- Momen, M., J.D. Wood, K.A. Novick, R. Pangle, W.T. Pockman, N.G. MacDowell and A.G. Konings. 2017. Interacting effects of leaf water potential and biomass on vegetation optical depth. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 122:3031–3046, doi 10.1002/2017JG004145
- Article selected by the editorial board for highlighting in the American Geophysical Union’s Eos publication (Witman, S. (2018), Scientists probe water inside leaves via satellite, Eos, 99, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018EO089975).
- Griffis, T.J., Z. Chen, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, X. Lee, R.T. Venterea, and P.A. Turner. 2017. Nitrous oxide emissions are enhanced in a warmer and wetter world. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114:12081–12085, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1704552114.
- Sun, Y., C. Frankenberg, J.D. Wood, D.S. Schimel, M. Jung, L. Guanter, D.T. Drewry, A. Porcar-Castell, T.J. Griffis, L. Gu, T.S. Magney, P. Köhler, B. Evans and K. Yuen. 2017. OCO-2 advances photosynthesis observation from space via solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence. Science, 358, eaam5747. doi: 10.1126/science.aam5747.
- Montane, F., A.M. Fox, A.F. Arellano, N. MacBean, M.R. Alexander, A. Dye, D.A. Bishop, V. Trouet, F. Babst, A.E. Hessl, N. Pederson, P.D. Blanken, G. Bohrer, C.M. Gough, M.E. Litvak, K.A. Novick, R.P. Phillips, J.D. Wood, and D.J.P. Moore. 2017. Evaluating the effect of alternative carbon allocation schemes in a land surface model on carbon fluxes, pools and turnover in temperate forests. Geoscientific Model Development, 10:3499–3517, doi: 10.5194/gmd-10-3499-2017.
- Wood, J.D., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, C. Frankenberg, M. Verma and K. Yuen. 2017. Multiscale analyses of solar-induced ﬂorescence and gross primary production. Geophysical Research Letters, 44:533–541, doi: 10.1002/2016GL070775.
- Chen, Z., T.J. Griffis, D.B. Millet, J.D. Wood, J. Baker, K. Xiao, P. Turner, M. Chen, J. Zobitz and K.C. Wells. 2016. Partitioning N2O emissions within the US Corn Belt using an inverse modeling approach. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 30:1192–1205, doi: 10.1002/2015GB005313.
- Griffis, T.J., J.D. Wood, J.M. Baker, X. Lee, K. Xiao, Z. Chen, L.R. Welp, N.M. Schulz, G. Gorski, M. Chen, J. Nieber. 2016. Investigating the source, transport, and isotope composition of water vapor in the planetary boundary layer. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16:5139–5157, doi:10.5194/acp-16-5139-2016.
- Wood, J.D., R.J. Gordon, A. Madani, G.W. Stratton, and H.M. Bromley. 2015. Performance of seasonally and continuously loaded constructed wetlands treating dairy farm wastewater. Journal of Environmental Quality, 44:1965–1973, doi:10.2134/jeq2014.11.0488.
- Turner, P.A., T.J. Griffis, X. Lee, J.M. Baker, R.T. Venterea, and J.D. Wood. 2015. Indirect nitrous oxide emissions from streams within the US Corn Belt scale with stream order. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 112(32):9839–9843, doi:10.1073/pnas.1503598112.
- Wood, J.D., T.J. Griffis and J.M. Baker. 2015. Detecting drift bias and exposure errors in solar and photosynthetically active radiation data. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 206:33–44.
- Chen, M., T.J. Griffis, J. Baker, J.D. Wood and K. Xiao. 2015. Simulating crop phenology in the Community Land Model and its impact on energy and carbon fluxes, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 120, 310–325, doi:10.1002/2014JG002780.