- Ph.D. 2013, University of Guelph
- Surface-atmosphere mass and energy exchanges
- Carbon, nitrogen and water cycles in natural and managed systems
- Gas emissions
Wood’s research focuses on the exchanges of mass and energy between the biosphere and atmosphere. There is specific emphasis on better understanding the factors controlling fluxes of carbon, water and nitrogen between natural or managed systems and the atmosphere. Current research efforts are directed towards improving constraints on canopy photosynthesis and respiration in forest systems and relations with ecosystem water status.
- Griffis, T.J., C. Hu, J.M. Baker, D. Wood, D.B. Millet, M. Erickson, Z. Yu, M. Julian Deventer, C. Winker, Z. Chen. Tall tower ammonia observations and emission estimates in the US Midwest, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 124, 10.1029/2019JG005172.
- Deventer, M.J, T.J. Griffis, T. Roman, R.K. Kolka, J.D. Wood, M. Erickson, J.M. Baker, D.B. Millet. Error characterization of methane fluxes and budgets derived from a long-term comparison of open- and closed-path eddy covariance systems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 278:107638, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2019.107638.
- Liang, J., G. Wang, D.M. Ricciuto, L. Gu, P.J. Hanson, J.D. Wood, M.A. Mayes. 2019. Evaluating the E3SM Land Model at a temperate forest site using flux and soil water measurements. Geoscientific Model Development, 12:1601–1612, https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-2018-34.
- Gu, L., J. Han, J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. Sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence and its importance for modeling photosynthesis from the side of light reactions, New Phytologist, 223:1179–1191, doi: 10.1111/nph.15796.
- Wood, J.D., E.J. Sadler, N.I. Fox, S. Greer, L. Gu, P. Guinan, A.R. Lupo, P. Market, S. Rochette, A. Speck, L. White. 2019. Land-atmosphere responses to a total solar eclipse in three ecosystems with contrasting structure and physiology, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 124:530–543, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JD029630.
- Gu, L., J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. A novel automated system for long-term continuous sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence measurements to enable synergy with eddy covariance flux networks. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123:127–146, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JG004742.
- Chen, Z., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, D. Millet, D. Wood, E. Dlugokencky, A. Andrews, C. Sweeney, C. Hu and R. Kolka. 2018. Source partitioning of methane emissions and its seasonality in the U.S. Midwest. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123:646–659, doi: 10.1002/2017JG004356.
- Wood, J.D., B.O. Knapp, R.-M. Muzika, M.C. Stambaugh and L. Gu . 2018. The importance of drought-pathogen interactions in driving oak mortality events in the Ozark Border Region. 2018: Environmental Research Letters, 13:015004, doi 10.1088/1748-9326/aa94fa.
- Momen, M., D. Wood, K.A. Novick, R. Pangle, W.T. Pockman, N.G. MacDowell and A.G. Konings. 2017. Interacting effects of leaf water potential and biomass on vegetation optical depth. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 122:3031–3046, doi 10.1002/2017JG004145.
- Griffis, T.J., Z. Chen, J.M. Baker, D. Wood, D.B. Millet, X. Lee, R.T. Venterea, and P.A. Turner. 2017. Nitrous oxide emissions are enhanced in a warmer and wetter world. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114:12081–12085, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1704552114.
- Sun, Y., C. Frankenberg, D. Wood, D.S. Schimel, M. Jung, L. Guanter, D.T. Drewry, A. Porcar-Castell, T.J. Griffis, L. Gu, T.S. Magney, P. Köhler, B. Evans and K. Yuen. 2017. OCO-2 advances photosynthesis observation from space via solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence. Science, 358, eaam5747. doi: 10.1126/science.aam5747.
- Montane, F., A.M. Fox, A.F. Arellano, N. MacBean, M.R. Alexander, A. Dye, D.A. Bishop, V. Trouet, F. Babst, A.E. Hessl, N. Pederson, P.D. Blanken, G. Bohrer, C.M. Gough, M.E. Litvak, K.A. Novick, R.P. Phillips, D. Wood, and D.J.P. Moore. 2017. Evaluating the effect of alternative carbon allocation schemes in a land surface model on carbon fluxes, pools and turnover in temperate forests. Geoscientific Model Development, 10:3499–3517, doi: 10.5194/gmd-10-3499-2017.
- Wood, J.D., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, C. Frankenberg, M. Verma and K. Yuen. 2017. Multiscale analyses of solar-induced ﬂorescence and gross primary production. Geophysical Research Letters, 44:533–541, doi: 10.1002/2016GL070775.
- Chen, Z., T.J. Griffis, D.B. Millet, J.D. Wood, J. Baker, K. Xiao, P. Turner, M. Chen, J. Zobitz and K.C. Wells. 2016. Partitioning N2O emissions within the US Corn Belt using an inverse modeling approach. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 30:1192–1205, doi: 10.1002/2015GB005313.
- Griffis, T.J., J.D. Wood, J.M. Baker, X. Lee, K. Xiao, Z. Chen, L.R. Welp, N.M. Schulz, G. Gorski, M. Chen, J. Nieber. 2016. Investigating the source, transport, and isotope composition of water vapor in the planetary boundary layer. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16:5139–5157, doi:10.5194/acp-16-5139-2016.
- Turner, P.A., T.J. Griffis, X. Lee, J.M. Baker, R.T. Venterea, and J.D. Wood. 2015. Indirect nitrous oxide emissions from streams within the US Corn Belt scale with stream order. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 112(32):9839–9843, doi:10.1073/pnas.1503598112.