- Ph.D. 2013, University of Guelph
- Ecosystem science
- Surface-atmosphere mass and energy exchanges
- Carbon, nitrogen and water cycles in natural and managed systems
Wood’s research focuses on ecosystem science and the exchanges of mass and energy between the biosphere and atmosphere. There is specific emphasis on better understanding the factors controlling fluxes of carbon, water and nitrogen between natural or managed systems and the atmosphere. Current research efforts are directed towards improving constraints on canopy photosynthesis and respiration in forest systems and relations with ecosystem water status.
- Plant-Water Relations (FOREST 8620)
- Environmental Biophysics (ATM_SC 4520/7520)
- Micrometeorology (ATM_SC 4400/7400)
- Tree Physiology (FOREST 2340)
- Wood, J.D., L. Gu, P.J. Hanson, C. Frankenberg, L. Sack. 2023. The ecosystem wilting point defines the drought response and recovery in a Quercus-Carya Global Change Biology, 00:1–15, https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.16582.
- Novick, K., I. Jo, L. D’Orangeville, M. Benson, T.F. Au, M. Barnes, S. Denham, S. Fei, K. Heilman, Taehee Hwang, T. Keyser, J. Maxwell, C. Miniat, J. McLachlan, N. Pederson, L. Wang, J.D. Wood, R. Phillips, The Drought Response of Eastern US Oaks in the Context of their Ongoing Decline. 2022. BioScience, 72:333–346, https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biab135.
- Novick, K., D. Ficklin, D. Baldocchi, K. Davis, T. Ghezzehei, A. Konings, N. MacBean, N. Raoult, R. Scott, Y. Shi, B. Sulman, and J.D. Wood. 2022. Confronting the water potential information gap, Nature Geosciences, 15:158–164, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-022-00909-2.
- Liu, X., W. Dong, J.D. Wood, Y. Wang, X. Li, Y. Zhang, C. Hu, L. Gu. 2022. Aboveground and belowground contributions to ecosystem respiration in a temperate deciduous forest, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 314:108807, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2022.108807.
- Konings, A.G., S.S. Saatchi, C. Frankenberg, M. Keller, V. Leshyk, W.R.L. Anderegg, V. Humphrey, A.M. Matheny, A. Trugman, L. Sack, E. Agee, M.L. Barnes, O. Binks, K. Cawse-Nicholson, B.O. Christoffersen, D. Entekhabi, P. Gentine, N.M. Holtzmann, G.G. Katul, Y. Liu, M. Longo, J. Martinez-Vilalta, N. McDowell, P. Meir, M. Mencuccini, A. Mrad, K.A. Novick, R.S. Oliveira, P. Siqueira, S.C. Steele-Dunne, D.R. Thompson, Y. Wang, R. Wehr, J.D. Wood, X. Xu, P.A. Zuidema. 2021. Detecting forest response to droughts with global observations of vegetation water content. Global Change Biology, 27:6005–6024, DOI: 10.1111/gcb.15872.
- Chang, C.Y., J. Wen, J. Han, O. Kira, J. LeVonne, J. Melkonian, S.J. Riha, J. Skovira, S. Ng, L. Gu, J.D. Wood, P. Nathe, Y. Sun. 2021. Unpacking the drivers of diurnal dynamics of sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence (SIF): Canopy structure, plant physiology, instrument configuration and retrieval methods. Remote Sensing of Environment, 265, 112672, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2021.112672.
- Hu, C., T.J. Griffis, A. Frie, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, Z. Yu, X. Yu, A.C. Czarnetzki. 2021. A multi‐year constraint on ammonia emissions and deposition within the U.S. Corn Belt. Geophysical Research Letters, 48, e2020GL090865, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL090865.
- Chu, H., … J.D. Wood and 68 other authors. 2021. Footprint representativeness of eddy covariance flux measurements across AmeriFlux sites. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 301–302:108350, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2021.108350.
- Griffis, T.J., D.T. Roman, J.D. Wood, M.J. Deventer, L. Fachin, J. Rengifo, D.D Castillo; E. Lilleskov, R. Kolka, R.A. Chimner, J. del Aguilla, C. Wayson, K. Hergoualc’h, J.M. Baker, H. Cadillo-Qurroz, D.M. Ricciuto. 2020. Hydrometeorological sensitivities of net ecosystem carbon dioxide and methane exchange of an Amazonian palm swamp peatland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 295:108167, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2020.108167.
- He, L., J.D. Wood, Y. Sun, T. Magney, D. Dutta, P. Köhler, Y. Zhang, Y. Yin, C. Frankenberg. 2020. Tracking seasonal and interannual variability in photosynthetic downregulation in response to water stress at a temperate deciduous forest, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 125:e2018JG005002. doi: https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JG005002.
- Gu, L., J. Han, J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. Sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence and its importance for modeling photosynthesis from the side of light reactions, New Phytologist, 223:1179–1191, doi: 10.1111/nph.15796.
- Gu, L., J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. A novel automated system for long-term continuous sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence measurements to enable synergy with eddy covariance flux networks. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123:127–146, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JG004742.
- Wood, J.D., B.O. Knapp, R.-M. Muzika, M.C. Stambaugh and L. Gu . 2018. The importance of drought-pathogen interactions in driving oak mortality events in the Ozark Border Region. 2018: Environmental Research Letters, 13:015004, doi 10.1088/1748-9326/aa94fa.
- Griffis, T.J., Z. Chen, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, X. Lee, R.T. Venterea, and P.A. Turner. 2017. Nitrous oxide emissions are enhanced in a warmer and wetter world. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114:12081–12085, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1704552114.
- Sun, Y., C. Frankenberg, J.D. Wood, D.S. Schimel, M. Jung, L. Guanter, D.T. Drewry, A. Porcar-Castell, T.J. Griffis, L. Gu, T.S. Magney, P. Köhler, B. Evans and K. Yuen. 2017. OCO-2 advances photosynthesis observation from space via solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence. Science, 358, eaam5747. doi: 10.1126/science.aam5747.
- Turner, P.A., T.J. Griffis, X. Lee, J.M. Baker, R.T. Venterea, and J.D. Wood. 2015. Indirect nitrous oxide emissions from streams within the US Corn Belt scale with stream order. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 112(32):9839–9843, doi:10.1073/pnas.1503598112.