- Ph.D. 2013, University of Guelph
- Ecosystem science
- Surface-atmosphere mass and energy exchanges
- Carbon, nitrogen and water cycles in natural and managed systems
- Gas emissions
Wood’s research focuses on ecosystem science and the exchanges of mass and energy between the biosphere and atmosphere. There is specific emphasis on better understanding the factors controlling fluxes of carbon, water and nitrogen between natural or managed systems and the atmosphere. Current research efforts are directed towards improving constraints on canopy photosynthesis and respiration in forest systems and relations with ecosystem water status.
- Environmental Biophysics (ATM_SC 4520/7520)
- Micrometeorology (ATM_SC 4400/7400)
- Tree Physiology (To be determined)
- Hu, C., T.J. Griffis, A. Frie, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, Z. Yu, X. Yu, A.C. Czarnetzki. 2021. A multi‐year constraint on ammonia emissions and deposition within the U.S. Corn Belt. Geophysical Research Letters, 48, e2020GL090865, doi.org/10.1029/2020GL090865.
- Wang, Y., H. Zhang, P. Ciais, D. Groll, Y. Huang, J.D. Wood, S. Ollinger, X. Tang, A.-K. Prescher. 2021. Microbial activity and root carbon inputs are more important than soil carbon diffusion in simulating soil carbon profiles. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 126, e2020JG006205. doi.org/10.1029/2020JG006205.
- Chu, H., … J.D. Wood and 68 other authors. 2021. Footprint representativeness of eddy covariance flux measurements across AmeriFlux sites. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 301–302:108350, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2021.108350.
- Griffis, T.J., D.T. Roman, J.D. Wood, M.J. Deventer, L. Fachin, J. Rengifo, D.D Castillo; E. Lilleskov, R. Kolka, R.A. Chimner, J. del Aguilla, C. Wayson, K. Hergoualc’h, J.M. Baker, H. Cadillo-Qurroz, D.M. Ricciuto. 2020. Hydrometeorological sensitivities of net ecosystem carbon dioxide and methane exchange of an Amazonian palm swamp peatland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 295:108167, doi: doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2020.108167.
- He, L., J.D. Wood, Y. Sun, T. Magney, D. Dutta, P. Köhler, Y. Zhang, Y. Yin, C. Frankenberg. 2020. Tracking seasonal and interannual variability in photosynthetic downregulation in response to water stress at a temperate deciduous forest, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 125:e2018JG005002. doi: doi.org/10.1029/2018JG005002.
- Griffis, T.J., C. Hu, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, M. Erickson, Z. Yu, M. Julian Deventer, C. Winker, Z. Chen. 2020. Tall tower ammonia observations and emission estimates in the US Midwest, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 124:3432–3447, 10.1029/2019JG005172.
- Deventer, M.J, T.J. Griffis, T. Roman, R.K. Kolka, J.D. Wood, M. Erickson, J.M. Baker, D.B. Millet. 2020. Error characterization of methane fluxes and budgets derived from a long-term comparison of open- and closed-path eddy covariance systems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 278:107638, doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2019.107638.
- Liang, J., G. Wang, D.M. Ricciuto, L. Gu, P.J. Hanson, J.D. Wood, M.A. Mayes. 2019. Evaluating the E3SM Land Model at a temperate forest site using flux and soil water measurements. Geoscientific Model Development, 12:1601–1612, doi.org/10.5194/gmd-2018-34.
- Gu, L., J. Han, J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. Sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence and its importance for modeling photosynthesis from the side of light reactions, New Phytologist, 223:1179–1191, doi: 10.1111/nph.15796.
- Wood, J.D., E.J. Sadler, N.I. Fox, S. Greer, L. Gu, P. Guinan, A.R. Lupo, P. Market, S. Rochette, A. Speck, L. White. 2019. Land-atmosphere responses to a total solar eclipse in three ecosystems with contrasting structure and physiology, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 124:530–543, doi.org/10.1029/2018JD029630.
- Gu, L., J.D. Wood, C. Chang, Y. Sun. 2019. A novel automated system for long-term continuous sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence measurements to enable synergy with eddy covariance flux networks. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123:127–146, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JG004742.
- Wood, J.D., B.O. Knapp, R.-M. Muzika, M.C. Stambaugh and L. Gu . 2018. The importance of drought-pathogen interactions in driving oak mortality events in the Ozark Border Region. 2018: Environmental Research Letters, 13:015004, doi 10.1088/1748-9326/aa94fa.
- Griffis, T.J., Z. Chen, J.M. Baker, J.D. Wood, D.B. Millet, X. Lee, R.T. Venterea, and P.A. Turner. 2017. Nitrous oxide emissions are enhanced in a warmer and wetter world. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114:12081–12085, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1704552114.
- Sun, Y., C. Frankenberg, J.D. Wood, D.S. Schimel, M. Jung, L. Guanter, D.T. Drewry, A. Porcar-Castell, T.J. Griffis, L. Gu, T.S. Magney, P. Köhler, B. Evans and K. Yuen. 2017. OCO-2 advances photosynthesis observation from space via solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence. Science, 358, eaam5747. doi: 10.1126/science.aam5747.
- Wood, J.D., T.J. Griffis, J.M. Baker, C. Frankenberg, M. Verma and K. Yuen. 2017. Multiscale analyses of solar-induced ﬂorescence and gross primary production. Geophysical Research Letters, 44:533–541, doi: 10.1002/2016GL070775.
- Turner, P.A., T.J. Griffis, X. Lee, J.M. Baker, R.T. Venterea, and J.D. Wood. 2015. Indirect nitrous oxide emissions from streams within the US Corn Belt scale with stream order. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 112(32):9839–9843, doi:10.1073/pnas.1503598112.