- PhD in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences, Texas A&M University, 2010
- MA Communication, Purdue University, 2004
- Sustainability science
- Water resources policy and planning
- Conservation policy
- Environmental communication
- Human dimensions of natural resources
Hall’s research examines interactions between social and ecological systems where science, policy, and culture meet. It is problem-oriented and audience-focused addressing questions of how to make usable knowledge for transitions towards sustainability. He is currently working on long-term water resources planning, engaging citizens in stream data collection for hydrologic modeling, and citizen-engaged policy approaches to address declines in native bee diversity and abundance.
- Gilbertz, SJ, Hall, DM. 2022. Bringing Sustainability to the Ground Level: Competing Demands in the Yellowstone River Valley. Foreword by Hoffman, Andrew J. New York: Business Expert Press. ISBN 9781637421482
- Hall, DM, Gilbertz, SJ, Anderson, MA, Avellaneda, P, Ficklin, D, Knouft, J., Lowery CS, 2021. Mechanisms for engaging social systems in science research. Freshwater Science, 40(1). doi.org/10.1086/713039
- Emerson MR, Hall DM, Gilbertz SJ. 2021. Pipeline pipedreams: Oil spills, pipeline accidents, and the local truths embedding fossil fuels in the Yellowstone River valley, United States. Energy Research & Social Science, 72. doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2020.101859
- Hall, DM, Martins, DJ. 2020. Human dimensions of insect pollinator conservation. Current Opinion in Insect Science, 38, 107–114.
- Avellaneda, PM, Ficklin, D, Lowery, CS, Knouft, J, Hall, DM. 2020. Improving hydrological models with the assimilation of citizen science data. Water Resources Research, 56 (5):10.1029/2019WR026325.
- Hall, DM, Steiner, R. 2020. Policy content analysis: Qualitative method for analyzing sub-national insect pollinator legislation. MethodsX: Biological Sciences, 7, 10.1016/j.mex.2020.100787
- Hall, D.M., Steiner, R. 2019. Insect pollinator conservation policy innovations at subnational levels: Lessons for lawmakers. Environmental Science & Policy, 93:118-128.
- Hall, D.M., Lazarus, E.D., Thompson, J.L., 2019. Mediated modeling and participatory modeling. In Fath, B. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Ecology 2nd Ed. Elsevier, 129–135. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.10574-3
- Gilbertz, S., Hall, D.M., Ward, L., Anderson, M. 2019. Science on the sideline: Pragmatism and the Yellowstone River Basin Advisory Council. Water Resources Management. 33(4): 1411–1424.
- Horton, C.H., Gilbertz, S.J., Hall, D.M., Peterson, T.R. 2019. Negotiating the democratic paradox: Approaches drawn from governance efforts on Yellowstone River. Frontiers in Communication: Science and Environmental Communication. 4 (25), 10.3389/fcomm.2019.00025
- Lowry, C.S., Fienen, M.N., Hall, D.M. Stepenuck, K, 2019. Growing Pains of Crowdsourced Stream Stage Monitoring using Mobile Phones: The Development of CrowdHydrology. Frontiers in Earth Science https://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2019.00128
- Burr, A.K., Hall, D.M., Schaeg, N., 2018. The perfect lawn: exploring neighborhood socio-cultural drivers for insect pollinator habitat. Urban Ecosystems, 21(6):1123–1137.
- Anderson, M., Gilbertz S., Ward, L., McEvoy, J., Hall, D.M. 2018. Prior appropriation and water planning reform in Montana’s Yellowstone River Basin: Path dependency or boundary object? Journal of Environmental Policy & Planning, 20(2):198–213.
- Hall, D.M., Feldpausch-Parker, A., Peterson T.R., Stephens J., Wilson E.J. 2017. Social-ecological system resonance: a framework for brokering sustainable solutions. Sustainability Science 12(3): 381-392. DOI: 10.1007/s11625-017-0424-6
- Hall, D.M., Camilo, G.D., Tonietto, R.K., Ollerton, J., Ahrné, K., Arduser, M., Ascher, J.S., Baldock, K.C.R., Fowler, R.E., Frankie, G.W., Goulson, D., Gunnarsson, B., Hanley, M.E., Jackson, J.I., Langellotto, G., Lowenstein, D., Minor, E.S., Philpott, S.M., Potts, S.G., Sirohi, M.H., Spevak, E.M., Stone, G., Threlfall, C., 2017. The city as a refuge for insect pollinators. Conservation Biology. 31(1):24–29. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12840
- Hall, D.M., Gilbertz, S.J., Anderson, M., Ward, L. 2016. Beyond “buy-in”: Designing citizen participation in water planning as research. Journal of Cleaner Production, 133:725–734. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.05.170
- Anderson, M., Hall, D.M., McEnvoy, J., Gilbertz., S.J., Ward, L., Rode, A. 2016. Defending dissensus: participatory governance and the politics of water measurement in Montana’s Yellowstone River Basin. Environmental Politics, 25(6):991–1012.
- Hall, D.M., Lazarus, E.D. 2015. Deep waters: Lessons from community meetings about offshore wind resource development in the US. Marine Policy, 57, 9–17.
- Hall, D.M., Lazarus, E.D., Swannack, T.S. 2014. Strategies for communicating systems models. Environmental Modelling & Software, 55, 70−76.