- Conservation and management of stream and river fishes, conservation planning at large spatial scales, climate change effects on fish and aquatic biota, fisheries management.
- Paukert’s research focuses on meeting the needs of the cooperators of the Missouri Cooperative Research Unit, which have primarily focused on conservation and management of large river fishes, stream fish conservation at the local and landscape scale, and effects of climate change on aquatic systems. His research is applied and answers questions relevant to conservation and management agencies.
- Current projects that Paukert, his students and post-docs are working on include a variety of applied topics and can be found at his personal website.
- Paukert’s research often is in collaboration with other scientists and agencies. Recent collaborations have included other academic institutions and departments (Michigan State University; North Carolina State University, Universities of Minnesota, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Alaska, and Buffalo) and federal (US Geological Survey in Reston, VA, Bozeman, MT, Madison, WI, Cook, WA, Flagstaff, AZ, LaCrosse, WI, and Columbia, MO, US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service) and state/provincial (Missouri Department of Conservation, Minnesota and Wisconsin DNR, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry) agencies, as well as international colleagues at Carleton University, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, NORCE Norwegian Research Center and the University of New England (Australia).
- Paukert, C., E. Kleekamp, and R. Tingley. 2020. Identifying Candidate Reference Reaches to Assess the Physical and Biological Integrity of Wadeable Streams in Different Ecoregions and Stream Sizes. Ecological Indicators 111.
- Lennox, R. J. C. P. Paukert and 28 coauthors. 2019. Hundred pressing questions on the future of global fish migration science, conservation, and policy. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 7:286.
- Tingley III, R. W., C. Paukert, G. G. Sass, P. C. Jacobson, G. J. A. Hansen, and A. J. Lynch. 2019. Adapting to climate change: Guidance for the management of inland glacial lake fisheries. Lake and Reservoir Management 35: 435-452
- Guo, C., Y. Chen, R. Gozlen, Z. Li, T. Mehner, S. Lek, X. Ke, and C. Paukert. 2019. Biogeographic freshwater fish pattern legacy revealed despite rapid socio-economic change in developing countries. Fish and Fisheries 20:857-869.
- Paukert, C. P., A. J. Lynch, T. D. Beard Jr., Y. Chen, S. Cooke, M. J. Cooperman, I. G. Cowx, L. Ibengwe, D. M. Infante, B. J. E. Meyers, P. Hòa Nguyễn, and I. J. Winfield. 2017. Designing a global assessment of climate change on inland fish and fisheries: knowns and needs. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 27:393-409.
- Paukert, C. P., and J. Spurgeon. 2017. Age structure. Pages 221 to 232 in M. Quist and D. Isermann, editors. Age and growth of fishes: principles and techniques. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Paukert, C. P., B. Glazer, G. J. A Hansen, B. Irwin, P. C. Jacobson, J. L. Kershner, B. Shuter, J. Whitney, and A. Lynch. 2016. Adapting inland fisheries management to a changing climate. Fisheries 41(7):374-384.
- Sievert, N., Craig Paukert, Y. Tsang, and D. Infante. 2016. Development and assessment of indices to determine stream fish vulnerability to climate change and habitat alteration. Ecological Indicators: 403-416.
- Spurgeon, J. J., C. P. Paukert, B. D. Healy, C. A. Kelley, and D. P. Whiting. 2014. Can translocated native fishes retain their trophic niche when confronted with a resident invasive? Ecology of Freshwater Fish. DOI: 10.1111/eff.12160.
- Staudt, A., A. K. Leidner, J. Howard, K. A. Brauman, J. S. Dukes, L. Hansen, C. Paukert, J. Sabo, and L. A. Solórzano. 2013. The added complications of climate change: understanding and managing biodiversity, ecosystems, and ecosystem services under multiple stressors. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 11(9):494-501.
- Cooke, S., C. Paukert, and Z. Hogan. 2012. Endangered river fish: Factors hindering conservation and restoration. Endangered Species Research 17:179-191.
- Paukert, C. P. and D. Galat. 2010. Warmwater rivers. Pages 699-730 In: W. Hubert and M. Quist, editors. Inland Fisheries Management in North America, 3rd edition. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland
- Paukert, C. P., and G. Scholten, editors. 2009. Paddlefish Management, Propagation, and Conservation in the 21st Century: Building from 20 years of Research and Management.American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Fischer, J.R., and C. P. Paukert. 2009. Spatial scale of stream fish assemblage and abundance estimates: effects of sampling effort, community structure, and habitat heterogeneity. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:277-290.