- Ph.D. 1979, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Tree growth-wood quality interactions.
- Cutter’s major research area is the relationship between tree growth and environmental influences as expressed as changes in wood quality. Environmental influences include forest management, prescribed fires and wildfires, and agroforestry management regimes as well as natural influences. His recent studies have concentrated on the impacts of fire and fuel loading on tree and wood quality.
- Forest use
- Forest boundary surveying
- Wildland fire management
- Fire and society
- Wood technology
- Logging systems: operations and analyses
- Tree growth-wood quality