- PhD 2012, Michigan Technological University-Houghton
- Landscape ecology
- Spatial modeling of species habitats
- Climate change and management effects on biodiversity
Henareh’s research involves using GIS, remote sensing, and spatial models to examine the potential impacts of climate change and land management strategies on future social-ecological systems. His current work is focused on high resolution climate modelling and management impacts on species, connectivity, and landscape structure in Ozark mountain forests. He is interested in integrating remote sensing data with climate projections in studying the effects of climate change and management on biodiversity. He has produced annual climate surfaces of the entire western US form spline interpolation of historical and contemporary station data at the local scale (30 m resolution). He is also interested in developing a research program for biological diversity and ecological forecasting working on remote sensing derived Essential Biodiversity Variables along with the Essential Climate Variables.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Gould, W.A., Falkowski, M.J., Muscarella, R., Uriarte, M., and Yousef, F. (2019). Climate change increases potential plant species richness on Puerto Rican uplands. Climatic Change, 156(1), 15-30.
- Strand, E.K., Satterberg, K.L., Hudak, A.T., Byrne, J., Henareh Khalyani, A., and Smith, A.M. (2019). Does burn severity affect plant community diversity and composition in mixed conifer forests of the United States Intermountain West one decade post fire?. Fire Ecology, 15(1), 25.
- Bright, B. C., Hudak, A. T., Kennedy, R. E., Braaten, J. D., and Henareh Khalyani, A. (2019). Examining post-fire vegetation recovery with Landsat time series analysis in three western North American forest types. Fire Ecology, 15(1), 8.
- USGCRP (2018), Fourth National Climate Assessment (NCA4) report, Co-author in the US Caribbean Chapter. US Global Change Research Program, Washington DC.
- Van Beusekom, A. E., Gould, W. A., Monmany, A. C., Henareh Khalyani, A., Quiñones, M., Fain, S. J., … & González, G. (2018). Fire weather and likelihood: characterizing climate space for fire occurrence and extent in Puerto Rico. Climatic Change, 146(1-2), 117-131.
- Falkowski, M. J., Evans, J. S., Naugle, D. E., Hagen, C. A., Carleton, S. A., Maestas, J. D., Henareh Khalyani, A., … & Lawrence, A. J. (2017). Mapping tree canopy cover in support of proactive prairie grouse conservation in western North America. Rangeland Ecology & Management, 70(1), 15-24.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Gould, W.A., Harmsen, E., Collazo, J.A., and Quinones, M. (2016). Climate change implications in tropical islands: Interpolating and interpreting statistically downscaled GCM projections for management and planning. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 55, 265-282.
- Van Beusekom, A.E., Hay, L.E., Viger, R.J., Gould, W.A., Collazo, J.A., and Henareh Khalyani, A. (2014). The Effects of Changing Land Cover on Streamflow Simulation in Puerto Rico. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(6), 1575-1593.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Mayer, A.L., and Norman, E.S. (2014). Water Flows Towards Power: Socioecological degradation of Lake Urmia, Iran. Society & Natural Resources, 27, 759-767.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., and Mayer, A.L. (2013). Spatial and temporal dynamics in area and connectivity of Zagros forests from 1972 to 2009. Landscape and Urban Planning. 117, 1-12.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Mayer, A.L.,Webster, C.R., and Falkowski, M.J. (2013). Ecological indicators for protection impact assessment at two scales in Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran. Ecological Indicators, 25, 99-107.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Mayer, A.L., Falkowski, M.J. and Muralidharan, D. (2013). Deforestation and landscape structure changes related to socioeconomic dynamics and climate change in Zagros Forests. Journal of Land Use Science, 8(3), 321-340.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Falkowski, M.J., and Mayer, A.L. (2012). Classification of Landsat images based on spectral and topographic variables for land cover change detection in Zagros forests. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(21), 6956-6974.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Mayer, A.L., and Namiranian, M. (2012). Restoring oak regeneration after overgrazing and fire in Zagros forests. Proceedings of the 4th Annual Fire in Eastern Oak Forests Conference, May 17-19, 2011, Springfield MO, USA.
- Mayer, A.L., and Henareh Khalyani, A. 2011. Grass trumps trees with fire. Science, 334, 188-189.
- Henareh Khalyani, A., Mayer, A.L., and Falkowski, M.J. (2011). Effects of protection on amount and structure of forest cover at two scales in Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran. Proceedings of the 1st World Sustainability Forum, November 1-30, 2011; Sciforum Electronic Conference Series, 2011.1