Point of Pride
The hospitality industry is one of the top employers in the United States
As one of the largest industries in the United States, the hospitality management industry contributes billions of dollars to the United States gross domestic product. The industry is constantly growing for professionals interested in event planning, hotel operations and management, tourism development, and overseeing events in sporting venues.
Combine business principles and customer service skills. Choose an emphasis area to prepare for a variety of careers:
- Conferences/Event Management. Learn the basics of planning and operating an event such as a wedding, small dinner party, business meeting or large-scale event.
- Food & beverage Management. Learn the skills necessary to successfully manage a restaurant, an institutional food service establishment or a full-service catering business.
- Lodging Management. Develop management skills to operate accommodations including hotels, lodges, resorts and more.
- Sport Venue Management. Receive specialized instruction in management and operation of sport venues, and in the business of live entertainment including sports games, tournaments and concerts.
Career Possibilities Include
- Global Hospitality
- Event Planning
- Food and Beverage Management
- Room Operations Management
- General Management
- Human Resources
- Venue Management
- Country Club Management
- Sales and Marketing Management
- See more common career paths
Internship & Employment
- Marriott International
- Hilton Corporation
- University of Missouri
- A2D Events
- Broadway Brewery
- Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
- Catering St. Louis
- Country Club of Missouri
- Hyatt Corporation
- Hallbrook Country Club
- Walt Disney Company
- American Airlines
- Drury Hotels
As an agricultural education student, your chances to gain field experience through research and internships are almost limitless.
- Learning Labs. In CAFNR, dive into real-world experiences including our student operated, full-service café. These services showcase the College’s signature research, education and outreach programs while providing top-quality products to the public and experience for our students.
- Internships. As a hospitality management student, your chances to gain real-world field experience through research and internships are as diverse as the clientele you’ll serve. Students obtain internships in hotels, restaurants, event companies, convention centers, sporting arenas and casinos around the world.
Classes You Might Take
- Guest Service Management
- Convention and Event Management
- Food and Beverage Management
- Lodging Management
- Sport Venue Management
- See catalog.missouri.edu for full curriculum
- Courses for Hospitality Management degree
One of the many unique experiences available for hospitality management students is a signature study abroad program. Immerse yourself in Italian culture and study restaurant management or event planning through a study abroad experience in Florence.
A minor in business can supplement a hospitality management degree. Excel within the field of hospitality management by studying management skills such as planning, organizing and the effective
allocation of resources such as time, people and money.
Clubs & Organizations
- Club Managers Association of America
- Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society
- Mizzou Special Events Society
- Mizzou Association of Venue Managers