Academic Standing

Good Standing: A student whose term and cumulative grade point averages (GPA) are both 2.0 or higher is in good academic standing.

Probation: A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 is placed on academic probation. Following one semester on academic probation, a student who does not meet the requirements for good standing will be placed on continued probation.

Ineligible to re-enroll:

A student on academic probation must establish a 2.0 cumulative GPA within two successive terms of enrollment; otherwise, the student is ineligible to re-enroll for one calendar year.

Additional Academic Standing Information:

  1. Application of the foregoing rules apply regardless of term hours completed.
  2. The Associate Dean of Academic Programs will determine how an in-progress or incomplete grade in a course will be considered in determining a student’s academic standing.
  3. The Associate Dean of Academic Programs has final authority in decisions regarding academic standing.

Appeal of Ineligible Status:

  1. A student may appeal their ineligible status by submitting a detailed letter and supporting documents to the Associate Dean of Academic Programs.
  2. A student who is deemed ineligible to re-enroll may be readmitted only upon the approval of the Associate Dean of Academic Programs. As a condition of readmission, the Associate Dean may set forth stipulations with regard to minimum standards of academic performance.
  3. Appeal Guidelines (PDF)

Registration Holds (Negative Service Indicators) for Students Not in Good Standing: A student on probation or continued probation will have a hold placed on their myZou account. To have this hold removed and make changes to their current term or enroll in a future term, the student will need to meet with an academic advisor in their major.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Are Unsatisfactory (U) grades counted in my term or cumulative GPA?
    No. Both Satisfactory (S) and Unsatisfactory (U) grades are not counted in term or cumulative GPAs. However, Unsatisfactory (U) grades do not meet progress towards graduation and are, therefore, taken into consideration for academic standing.
  2. I did well in transfer courses but I am not in good academic standing. Why?
    Only the “UM GPA” is considered in evaluating the academic standing of undergraduate students. Courses completed at a University of Missouri campus (Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla, and St. Louis) are factored in the UM GPA. Refer to myZou to determine your term and cumulative UM GPA.

Last updated 5/11/2023