Academic FAQs

What resources are available if I am overwhelmed in a class?

Set up a meeting with your advisor or instructor. Either go during office hours or set up a meeting via MU Connect (found on Canvas). You can also start at the Academics Programs Office (2-64 Ag Building) to discuss some strategies. Great campus resources to explore are the Learning Center (which offers tutoring) and the Writing Center both located within the Student Success Center. Study Plan Consultants are great for discussing time management skills.

How do I know who my advisor is? What if I want to change?

You are assigned an advisor based on your major and interest area(s). You can find this person in myZou. If you want to change your advisor, you can email

What if I have not been assigned an advisor?

Send an email to so we can correct this error.

How do I change my major?

If you want to change your major, please email We can help you with the process.

How do I declare a minor?

To declare any minor or certification campus, complete this form. The appropriate follow up will happen.

Am I required to meet with my advisor each semester?

We highly encouraged you to meet with your advisor at least once a semester, but is it not required.

Students on academic probation are required to meet with their advisor during early registration to discuss registration and future semester planning.

Can I take courses off campus and transfer them back to Mizzou?

Yes, with permission. A faculty/staff member will need to verify how the course will transfer back to Mizzou. If you need to take a course to complete your degree, please email to get permission.

Are there restrictions on the number of credits I can enroll in?

You can enroll in a total of 18 credits each fall or spring semester (9 in summer). You are also restricted to 7 credits through Mizzou Online each semester. If you need to take more than 18 credits and/or more than 7 online credits, you must meet with your advisor. Have your advisor send approval for the courses to be added to Make sure you are copied on the email. An increase in online hours is typically only approved for study abroad or internship credits for the semester.

What is a hold? How do I resolve them?

Most holds restrict registration activities (add/drop), but do not typically restrict other activities (purchases at bookstore, meals, etc.). The holds will only be removed after students talk with the department that put the hold on the account.

When is the graduation plan due?

After you complete 75 college credits (transfer and MU combined).

The typed, signed copy (student, advisor and advisor chair) must be received by the Academic Programs Office ( before your hold can be removed and you can register for the following semester’s courses. You can always turn this in before you complete 75 credits.

Use Grad Plan and Grad Plan Change Forms.

How do I declare a different graduation date than in myZou?

You can either submit a grad plan change form indicating a change in the semester or you can send an email to from your MU email address specifying a semester.  As long as you have courses remaining to complete your major, this request will be approved.

How can I dual major?

You must meet all degree/college and University requirements for each major. You will be assigned a second advisor — one for each major. You must choose one unit/college as your “primary” for scholarship purposes.

How can I earn dual emphasis?

You must meet requirements for both emphasis areas to graduate. Both emphasis areas must be completed at the same time as a degree is only awarded once.

How many credits are required for a degree?

Most CAFNR degrees require a minimum of 120 credits, some require additional credits.

When can I enroll in CAFNR (departmental) honors?

A student can enroll any time before their final semester. You must have and maintain a 3.3 cumulative GPA to receive CAFNR (departmental) honors. Requirements vary, so talk with your advisor.

What are the cutoffs for Latin Honors?

CAFNR Latin Honors are based on the cumulative UM system GPA (transfer courses from non-UM system do not count). GPA Calculator.

  • Cum Laude 3.5-3.69
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.7-3.89
  • Summa Cum Laude 3.9-4.0

How do I get on the Dean’s List?

A student is eligible for the CAFNR Dean’s List each semester by meeting the following criteria: 3.5 term GPA, 3.0 UM system cumulative GPA, and 12 graded credits (pass/fail courses do not count towards your 12 total credits).

What is CAFNR Fall Round-Up?

CAFNR Fall Round-Up is a chance for incoming students to take a glance at all the CAFNR organizations that are out there! This event is held at the beginning of each fall semester; check your email for details.

Why is it important to pay attention to pre-requisites?

You don’t want to pay for a course if you are not fully prepared to be successful!

Can I retake a course to improve my grade?

A class in which a C- or lower was earned can be replaced by a second attempt. Both attempts must be completed at Mizzou. For more information talk with your advisor and view the repeat policies.

Can I enroll in courses late (including internship and research credit)?

To enroll in courses after the University deadline, you must submit a late registration form. Attach documents from your instructor indicating that you’ve been participating in class and can still be successful. Submit the request to MU CAFNR advisors on the form.

Internships and research credits can be added any time during the semester using the same form.

Can I take a course pass/fail?

This is officially called a satisfactory/unsatisfactory or S/U grade. Within the first 10 days of the semester you may switch some A-F graded courses to S/U. To do so, have your advisor send approval for the specific course via email to and copy you on the email.

You must be in good academic standing, only enroll in one pass/fail course a semester, confirm with your academic major, and check pre-requisites for future courses that may require a specific grade. Keep in mind that you must earn a C- at a minimum to earn a passing (or “satisfactory” grade).

What is academic probation?

Students are placed on academic probation if their term or cumulative UM GPA falls below a 2.0. Please view information on academic standing.