You got an interview—congratulations! Now prepare to land the position. To get started…
- Dress to positively impress.
- Research the organization thoroughly.
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Be courteous to the receptionist and everyone you meet.
- Bring extra copies of your resume and references, a pen and paper in a padfolio.
- Smile. Wait until invited to be seated.
- Be ready for “Tell me about yourself.” This is your opportunity to present yourself. Why do you want THIS position?
- Be prepared for behavior-based interviews with specific examples of your skills.
- Sell yourself by sharing not only WHAT you’ve done, but also HOW WELL you’ve done it!
- Close the interview! Ask questions which reflect your research, including the hiring timeline and follow-up. Express your genuine interest in the position.
- Send a thank you note immediately following your interview.
- Talk too much.
- Chew gum or bring beverages.
- Tell “hard luck” stories or make negative comments about former employers.
- Inquire about salary, benefits or vacations until an offer has been made.
- Accept an offer on the spot. A response in 24 hours is appropriate.
Three steps for interviewing