Reading job descriptions and talking about options isn’t enough. You need to experience career options! Job shadowing, spending time with a professional in your career interest area, can be an excellent way to affirm a good fit. Develop knowledge of what you need to succeed and begin your professional network.
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- Share your goals with the professional(s) you will be meeting. If everyone knows what you hope to accomplish, they will likely work hard to help you be successful.
- Ask about expectations-especially in terms of the schedule and appropriate attire. Does a tour require that you be in pants and closed toe shoes? Does everyone wear ties to the meeting you’ll be attending?
- Do your homework. Show up with knowledge of the company and position(s). Have a few questions prepared.
- Ask for feedback. Review what you learned and ask for feedback on next steps like internships.
- Say thanks! Enjoyed your job shadow? Seek opportunities, like research or internships‚to get more involved. No? Try something different.
- Join CAFNR’s group to meet alumni and friends.